Saturday, November 8, 2008

Snow Days & Other Stuff

We've been snowed in the house since Wednesday night. Today, Jason finally was able to get to work. He tried yesterday but had to turn around. We had a horrible blizzard-13 inches of snow but horrific winds. One gust was 85MPH! I dont mind snow days...as long as we have power of course, and luckily we did. I feel horrible for the people who were stranded either someone else or in their cars!!! The one bad thing about snow days is that by the time we can finally get out of the house....we've all had enough of each other! Yesterday the kids watched TV all day long! They went outside for a few minutes but it was just too cold, so there really was nothing else for them to do. So, Jason is at work, kids all went to their other homes...and I have quietness here. I would post some pictures but I dont have any. I guess if you wanted to see some you could go to www.rapidcityjournal.com

The new job is going really well. Its not sad like I thought it would be. By the time I have gotten the case, the children have already been out of their homes, 1-2 court hearings have been had, and the parents hopefully have an idea of what is going on. So for a 3-12 month period, I work with the families to reunify and to understand and change the factors that lead them to this point. Its very, very interesting. The sad parts are when parents do not do everything in their power to get their kids back (missing appts, failing UA's, etc.) I mean they only get to see their kids 1 hour per week....you would think they would show up! Some do, and some dont. I have a LOT of co-workers, there are 7 units in Child Protection, with about 30-40 cases per unit. And a case can consist of 1 child...or a sibling group, which can be quite large! I do like it though, and I cant wait to get more cases.

Jason and his partner finally got a shop for their business. Its really nice! Has a big garage, a loft, a little waiting room, and an office area. Im so excited for them, this was definitely needed, because most of their supplies were stored in our garage, and that took up a lot of room, not to mention the huge-ass trailer that they had. It was always a problem finding a place to park it, and it took up so much room, I think its like 24 foot or something. So now, the neighbors will be happy that it is at the shop!

Nothing new with the wedding. We want to get some other stuff in order before we start planning a wedding. We definitely do not want to go into debt for a wedding! So it might look something like this.....bring your own lawn chair, a crockpot (full of food of course!) & your own beverages!! :0)

On a side note, has anyone else noticed this:
On medical shows like ER, Greys Anatomy, etc....sometimes in a stressful situation when someone is dying....they will yell at the patient. "NO, DONT DIE ON ME!" Stuff like that. Cracks me up. Little hint Doctor...that probably isnt going to work!
P.S. I really hate Greys Anatomy. All they do is whine, complain, and are completely incapable of figuring out anything........I explained that to my friend Lindsay and she says...."Hmmm, I would think you would like it then!" Haha!

4 comments:

Stephanie R. said...

Ha! Thats funny what Linds said... cuz it's true! Well, I'm done stalking for the night (after 3 hours). I'm gonna drag my pathetic self to bed and probably not be able to sleep... or have dreams about slutty 24-year old and how I'd like to run her over. Call me tomorrow to talk me down from the ledge, mmmmmmkay?

Chelsea said...

Geez!!! I'm so glad that we haven't had that much snow yet! I seriously get seasonal depression in the winter. I'm not kidding.

I'm so glad that you are liking your new job. I think that it's so interesting. I would really want to know what the parents reasonings were, if any at all. I know that you really would have liked the job with the plastic surgeon but really....I think that you are doing a lot more good for society where you are.

Glad you have your garage back....So are your neighbors.

Ed and Ivy said...

That's crazy that you got that much snow last week! I am always a little excited for winter and snow up until New Years, after that I'm ready for summer again! Glad the job is going well so far, I'm sure you will see some tough situations along the way but if you can make even small improvements in children's lives your doing a great thing!

Malisa said...

I heard about all the snow you had. My dad was off the side the road just outside of Burrafo. He has to speand one night in his truck and the next afternoon, someonw came by and picked him but. Still wasn't able to get his truck out until the next day.
Your job sounds interesting but I agree with Ivy, even little improvements make a big difference.